- Knowledge Capture & Leverage is a relatively new inclusion in the five big Prerequisites for business excellence, having been added in only the last 40 years or so.
- There have been three main driving forces for its recent inclusion as a major competitive advantage, namely Technological Change; Globalisation; More Mobile Workforces.
- Knowledge Capture & Leverage is often termed ‘Knowledge Management’ in the literature.
- The organisation’s Quality Assurance (QA) System progressively becomes its Knowledge Management system as knowledge flows get overlaid on top of the process flows from Prerequisite #2: Process Design & Improvement.
- Use of low cost SmartDrawTM software can be used to build the joint QA System and Knowledge Management System for an SME / SMB – although more capable software such as XSOL is available at significantly greater cost.
- The upshot is that the recommended techniques in the Portal minimise the effort needed to build a powerful Knowledge Management System.
- Detailed instructions for how to do everything for this Prerequisite are included in the Portal.