Operational excellence (sometimes referred to as Business Excellence), is a methodology for building a desirable result throughout an organisation’s processes and is an integral part of organisational leadership and organisational intelligence. If you want to take your business’s productivity to new heights, you'll want to implement a strategy for operational excellence.
Market penetration of Operational Excellence approaches (or Business Excellence) in the huge SMB/SME sector of the economy is less than about 1 percent. It’s time to change that.
We need to change the way we implement operational excellence in Small and Medium Businesses (SMEs). SMEs are NOT just small versions of big businesses. They require a simpler, faster and lower cost way of implementing excellence.
The standard big business approach of engaging a team of consultants to facilitate comprehensive implementation is not financially feasible for most SMBs. Largely as a result, […]
When it comes to implementing business excellence, SMBs are not just small versions of large businesses. They require a much simpler and more direct ‘hands-on’ way of implementing excellence for maximum return on investment.
The traditional large company approach of engaging external management consultants to facilitate comprehensive implementation is simply not feasible for most SMBs. And so it is not surprising that less than about 1% of SMBs globally are following that traditional expensive route. Unfortunately, the remaining 99% are not realising the immense Net benefits of properly implementing business […]
We are delighted to announce our recent membership as a Premium Member of the SMEA – SME Association of Australia – an excellent organisation focused on empowering SMEs.
The SMEA was founded in 2011 by business owners for business owners. It’s Vision – “Prosperity for Australia through empowering SMEs”.
As a Premium Member, My Business Excellence will contribute guest articles to the SMEA blog. Dr Mark Rehn’s first article entitled “Radically Changing SMEs with Future Forward Business Excellence” is now published there.
Our Shared Vision for Empowering SMEs
The reason we are excited […]
How long will it take to recoup our investment in the My Business Excellence approach
Not long! The Benefits from your first 5 Fast Process Improvement (FPI) projects conducted during your first 12 months will far exceed all your associated Costs. And you will complete at least 15 more such Fast Process Improvement projects every year thereafter!
And it doesn’t stop there. The resultant net benefits will further compound due to delivery in full of your Strategic Plan plus the occasional big Business Process Reengineering (BPR) project plus a myriad of […]
How do we overcome the classic employee objection”But we’re too busy to do this!”
Primarily, this is a question for your leadership – making clear your expectations of employees. You should encourage and arrange for all your people to spend some time (typically about 4% of their available work time) to work ON the business. To just ‘add’ to their existing workload denies reality and demotivates people.
That said, the best way to get such a person engaged is to ask them what labour-intensive process is the main cause of them […]
Do we really need to implement Business Excellence when we seem to be doing OK?
The benefits of business excellence are immense. But it’s your call not to proceed if you believe OK is good enough. Excellence is not compulsory.
Professor Jim Collins famously said: “Good is the enemy of Great”.
In a similar vein, CEOs all too often say: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. They’ll wait for a crisis to happen before attempting to fix things.
The real question that should be asked is: “How good would we become if we all […]
Will we need to add extra staff in order to achieve Business Excellence?
The intent is to work with your existing people and have them work up to 4% of their time on average working ON the business (via these techniques) and 97% of their time working IN the business. The return on the 4% investment of their time will be substantial for the business and also for their work-life balance because it makes their jobs easier. (Bear in mind that right now your people are probably spending at […]
What is the standard rollout sequence over years 1-2 for My Business Excellence?
The complete rollout sequence over years 1-2 is shown in the graphical summary included in the ‘Pacemaker’ page of the website.
What can you show a potential Client when convincing them to engage you as their external Pacemaker?
This will vary depending on your own personal sales and consulting style as well as the perceived readiness of your potential Client.
However, we have prepared some standard sales materials for you to choose from in each case. These are forwarded to you automatically via email as soon as you sign up as an authorised external Pacemaker.